Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Great Day with a Great Delivery

Ever since my wife Sue and I were here in July we have wanted to help a 5 year old boy and his mother. They live at water stop 17 in Cite Soleil. The 5 year old is named Raybean and he has a badly deformed foot from being dropped into a fire when he was 3 months old. When we were here in July his mother and some of the other kids asked us to get him some crutches because he has a lot of difficulty walking. We were able to find a set of crutches which we sent down with one of the next teams coming down. Unfortunately they were too big for him. He is a very small 5 year old.

In preparation for this trip I stopped at a thift store to look for luggage to bring down. While there, to my amazement I found a smaller set of crutches, which I didn't even know they made them that small. For the sum of $3.99 I purchased them to bring with me on this trip. 

On Tuesday morning we were not sure which water stops we were going to and we were told that we first had to go to Elders School because they were out of water. Elders School is in Cite Soleil as well. After that we took the remaining water in the truck to stop 17. I had asked Fanfan if he had seen Raybean at the stop lately and he said that he had not. Sue and I had been worried about being able to find him again.

When we parked at Stop 17 I waited in the Taptap so I could grab the crutches on my way out. As I was climbing down from the Taptap, Tom our leader said to me "Look at that little boy." I looked up and immediately recognized Raybean. He was already in the arms of Claudia another team member. I called his name and he looked at me. He saw what I had and wanted down. I brought him the crutches and he took them right away and started off down the street. They were the perfect size just the way they were, which was good because they were as small as they would go. He had a big smile on his face. What a great moment it was to be able to do God's work in such an amazing way.

God sent me to that store to find the crutches and God put Claudia there to find Raybean for us and I'm so greatful for team members who gathered around and documented Raybean getting his crutches. I am also greatful to Sue for keeping Raybean in our thoughts and prayers. What a great delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment