Tuesday, March 13, 2012

As we drove through the streets of Port au Prince to Cite Soliel to deliver water I was taking in my surroundings not quite sure what to expect.  Many questions filled my head.  Should I be concerned for our safety?  Would the scene be chaotic?  I said a prayer for God to protect our team and put my faith in Him so I would not worry but be able to concentrate on helping others. 
We turned the corner off the main road and as soon as the children saw the water truck they began shouting "Hey you!" and came running to the truck with huge smiles. Women and kids who looked to be as young as 6 years old quickly lined up behind the truck with their water buckets.  Everything was very orderly for people in such great need.  Some kids were so thirsty they began drinking before their buckets were even filled with water.  Others sat their bucket down within yards of the water truck and began bathing. A mother began washing her clothes.  It felt amazing to be providing what they needed so much. 
I helped many kids lift water buckets onto their heads and carried water to their homes.  In the middle of the second of our four stops I began to lose my strength and my hands began to ache from carrying the water buckets with wire handles.  I told myself that I would simply play with the kids on the next two stops because I didn't have the energy.  But when I got out of the truck on the next stop I couldn't help myself.  I just had to help these people who were in such great need.  I prayed that God would give me strength to continue carrying water at the last two stops. 
I finished the day with more strength than I had as the day began, feeling fulfilled that our team was provided with the opportunity to serve those less fortunate than ourselves.
Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment